Problem Changing Windows Passwords

Martinez, Alfredo amartinez at ll.mit.edu
Thu Mar 20 21:51:59 GMT 2008

Hello,

I have Samba running on SLES 10 with a single Windows XP PC joined onto the domain. Users can login fine - though they are unable to change their passwords from within the Windows environment, returning the error: "Cannot change user's password at this time, Permission Denied". This only happens here, as we are able to run smbpasswd on the Linux side on any user and successfully change their password in this way.

Is this a passwd chat problem with SLES10? If so, what is the proper syntax?

If not, is there something that I am missing here? I've pasted my smb.conf file if it helps any.

Any and all help is appreciated.

[global]
            workgroup = <WorkgroupName> #commented out
            netbios aliases = <AliasName> #commented out
            security = user
#          min passwd length = 6
#          smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
            passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
            passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd %u
#          passwd chat = *Old*Password* %n\n *New*Password* %n\n *Retype*New*Password* %n\n
            passwd chat debug = yes
            unix password sync = yes
            log level = 100
            password level = 4
            syslog = 0
            log file = /var/log/samba/machines/smbd.%m
            add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
            domain logons = Yes
            domain master = No
            wins server = 155.34.3.22
            ldap ssl = no
            hosts allow = localhost, 127.0.0.1, 155.34.
            load printers = yes
            ldap suffix =
            wins support = No
[homes]