Sporadic Copying in Windows XP

Travis Forghani travis at bowmanent.com
Wed Jan 9 16:31:24 GMT 2008

Hello,

I've setup a basic Linux Workgroup via SAMBA.  Everything is working
fine except for the following:

I just replaced a Windows 2003 Storage Server with CentOS 5.1. When my
users start copying TIF images from the now CentOS 5.1 server, XP copies
the images sporadically. For example: folder1, folder2, folder3,
folder4; each folder has 5 sub-folders in it numbered sequentially
(00000, 00001, 00002, etc.); each sub-folder has 100 images in it. When
from an XP box, a user highlights folder1 and pastes it to their local
drive the copying of the sub-folders and the images is sporadic. For
example: first 00003 is copied and in 00003 image 98 is copied and then
image 25 and then image 60 and etc.; once 00003 and all of its contents
are finished with the copy process will jump to 00005 and continue to be
sporadic. I've been told by the CentOS forum that since XP is doing the
writing, XP is causing the problem. I am running the latest Samba
available for CentOS 5.1. Also, I have five bonded NICs in the CentOS
server. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

My SAMBA Conifg (Configured Via Webmin):
[global]
    netbios name = STGSVR1
    netbios aliases = STGSVR1
    writeable = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    write list = @beiusers, at root
    workgroup = BEI-LINUX
    os level = 20
    valid users = @beiusers, at root
    user = @beiusers, at root
    create mode = 775
    preferred master = no
    directory mode = 775

[Stg1_Images]
    force create mode = 775
    force user = root
    path = /data/Stg2_Images
    force directory mode = 775
    force group = beiusers

[Stg1_All]
    force create mode = 775
    force user = root
    path = /data
    force directory mode = 775
    force group = beiusers

--
sincerely,

Travis Forghani
IT Administrator
Bowman Enterprises, Inc.

Cell: 919-795-9298
Office: 919-894-3662, Ext. 34

travis at bowmanent.com

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.