Best practices for managing file permissions in SMB network

Benjamin Jackson bhjackson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:04:46 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I'm running a SMB network with OSX and Windows XP, using SharePoints
to setup my shares (though I could probably edit smb.conf if the need
arose). Our shares are almost all on external HDs.

We have four users here at the office, and everyone needs access to
the files in the share. However, what ends up happening is that one
user will for example create a Photoshop document, and no one else can
overwrite it.

I have a basic understanding of users and groups, and can easily put
everyone in the same group, but I don't know of any way to control the
permissions that are set on newly created files. What's the best way
to go about this? Thanks in advance for any help.

- Ben