smbclient - Slow File Transfer Rates Solaris to Windows XP

Suresh Reddy reddy at unique-inc.com
Wed Jan 18 23:41:30 GMT 2006

I am using smbclient (2.2.8a) to copy files from a Sun Solaris server to
a Windows XP (Service Pack 1) shared folder on an external Western
Digital USB 2.0 hard drive. Both machines are connected via a 100 Mb/s
LAN. The transfer rate is slow to say the least (~12.5 Mbits/sec). The
same transfer to a shared folder on an internal drive on the Windows XP
machine is 3 - 4 times faster (~40 Mbits/sec). I don't believe that it
has anything to do with the external hard drive  because of the following:

    * We get approximately the same transfer rates (~70 Mbits/sec) to
      the shared folders on the internal and external drives when
      copying files from another Windows PC on the network
    * Locally copying files from the internal to external drive on the
      Windows XP machine is also extremely fast

In a nutshell, it appears that we only get slow transfer rates when
using smbclient to copy files from the Solaris server to the external
drive on the Windows XP PC. Anyone have any ideas as to why this may be
happening and if there are any configuration parameters that can be
tuned to improve the performance.... Your input will be greatly
appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Suresh

--