mount.cifs of ms-dfs share fails with error 6

moorse at someren.nl.eu.org moorse at someren.nl.eu.org
Tue Jan 3 13:28:51 GMT 2006

Hi,

I hope some-one can help me with this issue:

I am trying to mount a share (I believe this is an MS-DFS share) on my
linux FC4 box, running a precompiled 2.6.14 kernel and using the latest
samba software (3.0.21a) I could find.

I was really happy to find out that smbclient can finally resolve the
shares properly.
If I however try to mount the same share using cifs.mount I get the
following behaviour:

# sudo mount.cifs //cos/share/rem /home/me/rem -o user=rem,dom=rdom
Password:
retrying with upper case share name
mount error 6 = No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

This command succesfully connects to the share:
# smbclient //cos/share/rem -Urem -Wrdom

I am running a fairly recent kernel, I don't suspect that cifs.ko is too
old, is it? (couldn't find a newer version of it)
# uname -r
2.6.14-1.1653_FC4

Is this the expected behaviour? Is MS-DFS support not yet available for
cifs.mount? Or am I running into some completely different problem?

Any insights avaible?

thanks,

Eric