Minimal requirements to get smbmount working...

Bil, Adam adam.bil at citigroup.com
Tue Mar 22 22:37:20 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can help me out in regards to getting
smbmount working in a thin client environment.  Most of the file system
is read-only (except that of /tmp and a few other locations).  Whenever
I try to smbmount a share, I get a "Can't get /etc/mtab~ lock filesmbmnt
failed :1".

I placed the:
mount.smbfs and mount.smb in /sbin
smbmount in /usr/bin
all the libs that ldd `which smbmount` returned in the appropriate lib
locations
and codepages in /usr/share

I also made /etc/mtab and /etc/mtab~ symbolic links to the writeable
dirs so they can be modified at will.

I'm trying to smbmount using the following command:
smbmount \\\\<server>\\<share> /mnt/smb -o
username=abxxxxx,password=xxxxxxx,workgroup=NAM

Not too sure what I'm missing here. :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
-- Adam