PLEASE HELP!!

Dave Henderson hendedav at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 03:27:25 GMT 2004

Hi everyone...

     My name is Dave Henderson.  I am working on a project that requires the use of DOS attributes.  It is copying files from a FAT32 or NTFS file system (controlled by Windows) to an FAT32 file system (controlled by linux).  I have scoured google groups for answers but keep coming up shy.  I have included a copy of my smb.conf file below.  It seems as though the "map" statements (ie map hidden, etc) don't copy over the corresponding attributes from one file system to the other, but rather sets them if those lines are included in the config file.  I also can't find any documentation on setting / copying folder attributes.  Is there a way that I can copy the file / folder attributes from one FS to the other?
     While searching through google groups it looks like there has been issues with being able to find a good way to map these DOS attributes over to linux since Linux uses the "rwx" permissions.  In my opinion this creates trouble between Windows and Linux.  I propose an addition to samba.  Instead of adjusting the actual file's linux "rwx" permissions, is it possible to create a soft link to the file and use its group's and world's permission set to "store" the DOS attributes for the actual file.  These soft links need to be hidden from the browsers of the samba share.  An example of my idea is below:

     We have a samba server that serves Windows clients.  One of the files on the samba server is called myfile.doc.  In the updated version of samba, samba will create a hidden file with the same name:

myfile.doc   (this is the file seen and adjusted by the Windows clients)
.myfile.doc  (this is the file samba created to store the DOS attributes)

    The following linux permissions for the .myfile.doc soft link file controll the DOS attributes as follows:

rwx rwx rwx
      | | |  | | |
      | | |  | | ` - Files hidden attribute
      | | |  | ` - Files system attribute
      | | |  ` - Files read only attribute
      | | ` - Files archive attribute
      ` ` - Both can be used for future use
^^^
` ` ` - these three don't need to be adjusted.

     Any directories created can follow this same idea.  The reason for creating the link files is because 1) there is no size increase in the overall size 2) it allows for added security in linux because you can keep your permissions secure on files 3) this can be applied to both files and folders (directories) 4) it is easy to keep track of the different systems permissions / attributes.
     I am not sure how to contact the samba team regarding this except to post an email in a news group.  Anyways.... if someone can help me on my immediate problem (1st paragraph), please reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Dave Henderson

Here is my smb.conf file.  I am using samba 3.0.0 by the way.

[global]
netbios name = device
workgroup = workgroup
server string = Backup device for servers
security = user
encrypt passwords = Yes
load printers = No
dns proxy = No
local master = No
hosts deny = All
hosts allow = 192.168.0.102, 127.
interfaces = eth*, lo
bind interfaces only = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
log level = 4
max log size = 5000

# all below this point deal with dos attributes
dos filemode = Yes
force create mode = 0466
create mask = 0466
force directory mode = 0777