NBT session size and FindFirst2 problem

Maarten van der Heijden Maarten at vdg-nederland.com
Wed Aug 18 09:36:41 GMT 2004

I'm working on a simple CIFS/SMB client program which has to store data
on a NAS running with Samba 3.0.0 beta3, but I have some problems with
it.

My first problem occurred when I wanted to send a packet that was larger
than 255 bytes. Specifically when the NBT session header was larger than
0x0000FE. This I find strange because it does not have problems when I
wanted to send the same packet to a random win 2000 system. I know samba
isn't an operating system, but still I find it strange.

The second problem I ran into was when I wanted to implement a search
function in my program using the FindFirst2 function. Searching for a
file using wildcards, for example "*.txt"  did not work
(STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE). Using other wildcards (?, or <) also didn't work.
I also am unable to find out which wildcards it does use / accept, does
anybody know even more wildcards which samba accepts??

I can't view the smb.conf or log files because it is somewhere hidden on
the NAS which I can't access, but I can provide ethereal logs if that is
necessary

Can anybody shed some light on these problems?

Regards

Maarten v.d. Heijden