Cannot access SMB shares

manish jain emmjanex at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 04:55:28 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am new to Samba. I am trying to set it up on my Linux box on a network
with Win-2003 Server on PDC and BDC, and XP on all other systems. The
machines are on an NT domain named ITGINDIA. When I try to use smbclient to
access any share on the Windows 2003 machines, I get the error
'NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED' or 'NT_STATUS_LOGONFAILURE'. When I try to access
the XP machine resources, I get 'NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS'. Below are my
smb.conf settings :

[global]
workgroup = ITGINDIA
NetBIOS name = manish
server string = RedHatLinux-Samba
hosts allow = 192.168.10. 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
security = server
password server = Server BDC
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
pam password change = yes
obey pam restrictions = yes

I have generated /etc/samba/smbpasswd by catting /etc/passwd through
mksmbpasswd.sh and then set my password using smbpasswd to make my smb
password same as the one on the domain account.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my setup ?

Thanks.
Manish Jain