smbmount doesn't work properly

Dave Hogervorst dave at lined.nl
Sun Apr 25 15:54:39 GMT 2004

Hello there,

Please excuse my grammer, i'm not a native...

I have a weird problem using smbmount.

When I try to mount a share using the following command, the "uid"
parameter doesn't seem to work properly.

mount -t smbfs -o username=my_name,uid=621,password=*** //lined/d /mnt/test

As fas as I understood from the man pages all files should, after the
mount, be owned by uid 621, but this is not the case. The directory
/mnt/test is owned by uid 621 but all files and directories inside
/mnt/test are owned by the original uid's as on the system where I mount
them from.

The rights on de samba server seem to be OK because when I boot this
computer with a knoppix cdrom the exact same mount command gives the
desired results.

My system is a gentoo 2004 system using kernel 2.6.4. The filesystem I
use is ext3.
The samba version I use currently is 3.0.2a but I've tried the 2 serie
as well, also without any success.

The configure command I used to build samba.
./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/sbin --libdir=/etc/samba
--sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc/samba --localstatedir=/var/log \
--with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-mandir=/usr/share/man
--with-piddir=/var/run/samba --with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat
--with-lockdir=/var/cache/samba \
--with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private
--with-codepagedir=/var/lib/samba/codepages
--with-winbind-auth-challenge --with-sendfile-support \
--without-smbwrapper --without-sambabook --without-automount
--without-spinlocks --with-libsmbclient --with-netatalk --with-smbmount \
--with-profile --with-quotas --with-syslog --with-msdfs --with-utmp
--with-vfs

I'm realy stuck here. What else can I do except reinstalling samba
because that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in advantage