smbfs and /etc/fstab

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at email.uni-kiel.de
Tue Apr 6 13:54:42 GMT 2004

Thank you, Luca, for your hint. However, I have already set the smbmnt command
setuid, but this did not solve my problem. I can mount a smb share as a
normal user with
   smbmount //server/share /mnt/xxx -o ...
and also with
   /sbin/mount.smbfs //server/share /mnt/xxx -o ...
but not with
   mount /mnt/xxx
(assuming /mnt/xxx is in /etc/fstab), which is much more convenient.
Now I found out that a normal user also can NOT mount a smb share with
   mount //server/share /mnt/xxx -t smbfs -o ...
and I guess that this is the reason why only root can mount the samba shares
that are in /etc/fstab with "mount /mnt/xxx".
Is there anything I can do to change this (/bin/mount is already setuid)?

Thanks,
Arne