Windows (XP) profiles not synchronising

Mark Kikken MarkKikken at gmx.net
Tue Sep 9 23:14:35 GMT 2003

I don't know if this is a Windows XP or a samba issue. And i don't know
if this is some beginner mistake i'm making, but i haven't been able to
find a cause or solution to my problem anywhere. I hope this post will
help me solve it.

I have 2 laptops running windows XP that use roaming profiles on my
local wireless lan. The strange thing is that the profiles won't
synchronise completely with the server copy when i log out. One example
is that i installed Mozilla Thunderbird as email client. I complely
configured it on one machine, logged out and logged in to the other one.
Then i had to start all over again configuring Thunderbird. Thunderbird
stores it's settings in the 'application data' folder of a profile.
Does anybody know how to fix this?

I'm running samba 2.2.5 on a SuSE 8.1 machine. The relevant parts of
smb.conf look like this:

[Global]
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
        logon home = \\%N\profiles\%U\win9x              #Ok, i know
this wasn't smart, ill change it later...
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 100
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        wins support = Yes
[profiles]
        comment = Opslaglocatie voor roaming profiles
        path = /home/profiles
        valid users = @users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        root preexec = ln -sn %H/net/Private /home/private/%U
        wide links = No
        follow symlinks = No

Thanks in advance....

Mark