Does smbmount support timeout equivalent to nfs "soft" mount ?

Yanping Du ydu_linux at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 06:44:22 GMT 2003

Dear all,

  I'm having a problem with smbmount and could you please kindly help ?

  I'm desperately searching a smbmount config equivalent to NFS "soft" mount option, but I cannot find any.

  I'll smbmount a Windows share as smbfs on a Linux box. I hope remote file access requests sent from smb client can timeout if CIFS server is down. i.e. I don't want the r/w file access to hang forever is CIFS server is not responding. I know in NFS, the mount option "soft" could do it. Is there any way to achieve it for smbfs/smbmount ?

  BTW, Windows share needs to be mounted in real time, instead of Linux boot time. So possibly I could not put it to /etc/fstab.

  I'll appreciate any help from you..

Sincerely yours,

yanping