SMB Ports?

Thorsten Brabetz T.Brabetz at ee.qub.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 10:49:58 GMT 2002

<...>

> This has been a long letter but I hope I've helped.  I was the network
> administrator in an academic environment (as you are) once upon a time.  I
> really, really enjoyed the challenge and I'd go back to that environment in
> a heartbeat if I could find a school that had an opening.
>
> Ken Barber

Dear Mr. Barber,

   Thank you very much for your letter, which I would rather quote as
comprehensive than long, and which contained a lot of useful information that
I had not been aware of before. It also confirmed my suspicion that the
situation is somewhat messy under Windows, and re-assured me that my approach
of rather using Linux at the critical points in the network is maybe not all
wrong, even though it is sometimes a real hassle getting the Windows and
Linux machines to talk to each other...

   I will have a chat with those people here more experienced, those in
charge of the university firewall, and those in charge of the money, and see
which of the options suggested by you are acceptable considering our current
funding (or, should I say, lack of it?  ... which is one of the downsides of
the university environment...   :o).

Thanks again!

Thorsten

Thorsten Brabetz