SMB Ports?

Thorsten Brabetz T.Brabetz at ee.qub.ac.uk
Wed Oct 23 10:45:02 GMT 2002

Hi Allen,

   Well, I have to say that I felt a bit uneasy about opening up port 139
myself. I will check whether I can find out how to activate ssl support, or
whether it is indeed already activated (having not much of an idea about
Samba yet, I pretty much used the default values when installing it...). The
thing is, even when I activate ssl, will my Samba connection not still be
intercepted by the firewall, and how do I stop that?

Thank you for your thoughts and help!

Best regards

Thorsten

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 22:46, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
> Actually you probably do not want to be doing name service stuff if you're
> going through a firewall so 139 should do it. But then again, I wouldn't
> expose any smb port to hostle networks. You really need ssl.

Thorsten Brabetz
Queen's University Belfast
Electrical & Electronic Eng.
Ashby Building, Stranmillis Road