What format is <host> parameter when doing an smbclient -L ca ll?

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Mon Nov 4 23:55:12 GMT 2002

smbclient -L hostname -W ntdomain -U user

and enter password. I think you can change the codepage of the client with
'client code page = 932' in global in smb.conf but man SMB.CONF(5) for the
proper syntax. To actually enter a japanese name in an english (or other)
environment you can try to change your locale:

   $ LANG=ja_JP.EUC-JP smbclient -L hostname ...

but I don't know if EUC-JP corresponds to codepage 932.  I just got that from
a quick google. Or maybe you just need to change the locale of your terminal
with $ LANG=ja_JP.EUC-JP xterm ... but I'm really guessing at this point. You
get the idea. Might also try ja_JP.UTF-8 but I doubt smbclient supports UTF-8.