Samba connection problem btw RH7.3 and WinME

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 02:32:37 GMT 2002

Hi All Guys,

I just join this list

I am going to experiment a crossover connection
between a WinME box and a RH7.3 Box. The setting of
WinME is without problem. It can communicate with
another WinME box or a WinXP box with crossover
connection.  I don't use password to login in both
boxes

I have Samba-2.2.3a running on a RH7.3 box

#service smb start/stop
Everything OK without complaint

Mapping/computer search on WinME box could not detect
the samber server in RH7.3 box

Tried several times but unfortunately problem still
remains unsolved.  Hereinunder is my test result, all
carried out as root.

1) I used following simplified smb.conf obtained from
another site

# Samba config file
# Global parameters

[global]
workgroup = SEC
netbios name = M20
server string = Samba Box
security = SHARE
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
printcap name = lpstat
dns proxy = No
printing = cups

[pub]
comment = Public_share
path = /path to share
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

(Remark.  SEC is my workgroup and M20 is the computer
name of RH7.3 box)

2)
#service smb start

Everything OK without complaint

3)
WinME box could not find RH7.3 box
Mapping/search computer did not work

4) Carried following test

# hostname
localhost.localdomain

/etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various
programs
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain
localhost M20

/etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

[root at localhost root]#

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info

IPADDR=218.188.33.13
NETMASK=255.255.254.0
NETWORK=218.188.32.0
BROADCAST=218.188.33.255
GATEWAY=218.188.32.1
DNS=210.0.144.66,210.0.144.26
DHCPSID=192.168.252.202
DHCPGIADDR=218.188.32.1
DHCPSIADDR=192.168.252.202
DHCPCHADDR=00:50:FC:39:3B:59
DHCPSHADDR=00:02:85:1B:BD:60
DHCPSNAME=
LEASETIME=3600
RENEWALTIME=1800
REBINDTIME=3150
INTERFACE=eth0
CLASSID="Linux 2.4.18-3 i686"
CLIENTID=00:50:FC:39:3B:59

I suspect the problem may be coming from the ethernet
card.  Because I have only one ethernet card in RH7.3
box for connecting to Internet.  I removed the
broadband cable and plug in the crossover cable.  The
WinME box has 2 ethernet cards, one for connecting to
Internet and another for Intranet.

Do I need to edit the ethernet card of RH7.3 box ???
If YES and then how ???

Thanks in advance.

=====
Best Regards