smbclient having problems accessing Win2k shares

Phillip Fry zoiddy001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 05:17:33 GMT 2002

Hi,
I am using samba-2.2.5 and redhat 7.1. This question
may have been asked before, but I was unable to find
any answers on it. I would appreciate any insights on
this matter.

I have this share on my win2k machine setup with
access to "Everyone" and had Guest account enabled.
When I try to access this machine I got this.

$smbclient  //host/myshare -N
added interface ip=129.22.xxx.xx bcast=129.22.xxx.xxx
nmask=255.255.254.0
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[SCL] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN
Manager]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

and when I try to browse the shares using -L it says

$smbclient  -L //host -N
added interface ip=129.22.xxx.xx bcast=129.22.xxx.xxx
nmask=255.255.254.0
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[SCL] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN
Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment

Anyone have any ideas or insights?  I realize this may
not be a smbclient problem, since I ran into the
similar issue trying to access that share with a win
XP client which is not in the same domain?  Could this
be a problem with the access setup on the win2k end?

Thanks