mounting shares on diff networks

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.ne.mediaone.net
Mon Jan 28 12:32:58 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:58:15PM +0530, Vivek Malik wrote:
> well using windows i can use "find computer" and use the ip to search
> for share and mount it.
>
> i just know the ip address and not the netbios name. So, either windows
> can connect without using the netbios name or windows somehow finds out
> the netbios name corresponding to the ip address.
>
> In case, windows finds out the netbios name corresponding to the ip
> address i search for using "Find Computer", i too wanna do the same.
>
> And in case windows can mount the shares without worrying abt the
> netbios name, i too wanna do the same.
>
> So, how can i find out the netbios name corresponding to a ip when the
> computer is on a different network.

I _think_ that windows is using WINS.  Try using nmblookup, part of
samba.  You need to know the WINS server, of course.  The Windows
machines may have received the WINS server over DHCP.

Also, often the first part of the DNS name is the same as the
netbios name; if that is the case, a normal nslookup will do.

Also, if you read what Urban wrote carefully, I think he meant that
you can directly use the ip address as the netbios name, ie
"//10.140.2.90/share", on some versions of windows.

Andrew