Can't see linux server

Morrison Davis Morry.Davis at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 21 19:45:17 GMT 2002

Mike,

   Thanks for the help. I found after running setup and setting some values under
   authentication I was able to see the linux box in the network neighborhood
   but access was not allowed. Then someone else told me to stop the ipchains service
   and now it prompts me for a password to connect which I don't know and can't
   figure out how to set. Tried smbpasswd but after going throught the process
   old password, new password, confirm password, I get machine 127.0.0.1  pasword change
   disallowed.

>Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:40:13 -0500
>From: "Allen, Michael B (RSCH)" <Michael_B_Allen at ml.com>
>Subject: RE: Can't see linux server
>To: 'Morrison Davis' <Morry.Davis at Sun.COM>, smb-clients at lists.samba.org
>
>All you really need is something like this:
>
>[global]
>   workgroup = FOO
>[homes]
>   comment = Home Directories
>   browseable = no
>   writable = yes
>[tmp]
>   comment = Temporary file space
>   path = /tmp
>   read only = no
>
>Also, the machines have to be on the same broadcast address and they all have to have the same
"Scope ID" preferrably none. Make sure you're not blocking traffic with some iptables or ipchains
>firewall rules. Try some of the utility programs like nmblookup -A <ip> and smbclient -L <win mach>
on the linux end and nbtstat -A <ip of linux> on the windows side. The best was to really *see*
>whats going on is to look at the wire with the Ethereal packet sniffer.
>
>Mike

Thanks Morry
e-mail address: morry.davis at Sun.COM
phone: X84792/650 786-4792 fax 650 562-2143