Domain authentication

jeff.pleau at webgain.com jeff.pleau at webgain.com
Fri Feb 15 17:05:17 GMT 2002

Hi, I am trying to get Samba running on an HPUX 11 A-class server, and I
haven't had any problems getting samba to start, nor am I getting errors
using testparm.  What does happen is that whenver a user tries to connect to
the samba server via WinNT/2K, they get a credentials challenge and no
matter what is put in, the user can't connect.  What is the process of using
domain authentication with Samba?  I am a relative newbie to Unix, I'm
trying to move out of the MS-windows dominated world.  Here's my smb.conf
file:

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
   netbios name = otlhpux1

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
   workgroup = W2K_Domain_Name

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/opt/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 1000

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = domain
# Use password server option only with security = server or domain
   password server = *

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
  encrypt passwords = yes

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
   local master = no

   read only = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = no
   dos filetime resolution = yes
   syslog = 0

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   path = /tmp
[HPAS]
   path = /hpas

Thanks

Jeff Pleau - Network Administrator
WebGain Canada Inc.  100 Metcalfe Street Suite 1800
jeff.pleau at webgain.com
*  (613) 786-0759
* (613) 762-4885
* (613) 782-0759