Samba 2.2.5 Domain Master and XP (5.1.2500)

nickh at fuse.net nickh at fuse.net
Sun Dec 15 22:50:33 GMT 2002

Using the "Unofficial Samba How-to" (hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html) I was able to setup my Windows XP (5.1.2600) machine to be a client of my Samba server (Samba 2.2.5 on RH 8.0 Psyche) in WORKGROUP mode.  After reconfiguring the /etc/samba/smb.conf using a minimalist smb.conf file (included below) I was not able to get the XP client to join the Samba domain.

When attempting to add the XP client to the samba domain, it asks for a username and password.  I give it the u/p I created using the command /usr/bin/smbpasswd -a root (note this is a different password than my root system account).  I receive the following error: "The following error occured when attempting to join the domain "MYGROUP": Logon failure: unknown username or bad password.

I added a line as following to the /etc/passwd file: "xp$:x:400:400:Workstation:/dev/null:/bin/false", as well as running the command: "/usr/bin/smbpasswd -m -a xp".  I have also modified the registry on my XP workstation as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000
"signsecurechannel"=dword:00000000

I'm not sure how important it is to note, but when I go to restart samba "./smb restart", I receive the following error when stopping NMB services:

 /smb: line 201: kill: (2645) - No such process
./smb: line 201: kill: (2627) - No such process

Also worth noting, if I try to add the XP client to the Samba domain using the Linux system root user account, as opposed to the account I created with /usr/bin/smbpasswd -a root - I get the following error: "Access is denied", instead of "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password.".

My Samba server is visible when I issue a "net view" from XP.  I can access my samba server using \\bigserver from the XP workstation if I type my system root account and password.  The problem is that I cant get the XP workstation to join the Samba domain.  Does it sound like I am missing something, or does my smb.conf file look completly wrong?  If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.  Thanks for your time.

[global]
   netbios name = BIGSERVER
   workgroup = MYGROUP
   log level = 2