How can I drop smbmount mounts easily ?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sun Aug 18 22:06:07 GMT 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, R.C.Pasianot wrote:

>  Please note I'm not a member, so I apologize if this has been asked
>  before. May be a good soul can point me into the right direction.

Lots of times. There is a searchable list archive at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com
(search the samba list, smb-clients isn't very active)

I think a google search should find a few answers too ...

>  Question: Is there an easy way to drop smbmount connections when they
>            are no more in use ?

... but perhaps you didn't find anything since you have the question
backwards :) Dropping the connection doesn't help because smbfs calls on
smbmount to reconnect if it is lost. What you want is that smbfs shouldn't
get stuck.

>  Details:
>  I'm running samba 2.0.7 under Linux. Windows users access this sever
>  and smbmount their Windows discs. At the end of the day some of these
>  users turn off their machines without smbumounting their discs first.

Kernel version? Some older versions always tried to send a disconnect
message when umounting, and would end up getting stuck waiting for a reply

2.4.19 is sure to have this fixed, and if you are going to rebuild you may
want to apply this patch first:

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.4.19-pre9-poll.patch
(also in 2.4.20-pre3)

It helps smbfs timeout if it doesn't get answers to its requests. And this
prevents things like df from getting stuck.

/Urban