Problems using smbclient in cron job

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Thu Aug 1 01:52:51 GMT 2002

Smbclient might assume it's connected to a tty. Don't know. I don't think cron uses
a pty to run jobs. I have had great success with Expect. Actually I think there is an
smb module for perl too.

The easiest way to do this (for me) is to use the jcifs client (probably because It's
my project). Here's a sample cron job that uses it:

$ crontab -l
50 4 * * * ~/bin/arch.sh

arch.sh looks like:

#!/bin/sh

JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java

cd /some/where
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Darch.reports.daysago=1 -cp jcifs.jar:. arch 2>&1 | cat > /tmp/arch.log

But you would need to write a little java program (e.g. arch.java) to do the actual work.