Why I can't change server IP address ??

yachty_sh at sohu.com yachty_sh at sohu.com
Thu Nov 22 12:46:51 GMT 2001

    I have installed a file server with Linux Redhat 7.1. This server have installed two net card (192.168.104.17, 192.168.104.71) and all client is Windows 2000 professional. Server and client in the same workgroup, no domain. I have used it one month, no problems.
    But beacause some reasons I have to chang the server one IP address. When I changed the server one IP (192.168.104.71), in my nethood I coudn't find the server. And when I connect to the server, it reported the error: "semaphore time out". But I use Dos client it can work normally. I'm very puzzling. I have not changed the IP address which Samba service bind.

My Samba config file:

[global]
   workgroup = Mynetwork
   server string = Mynetwork Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.104.
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 10
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
   interfaces = 192.168.104.17/24
   remote announce = 192.168.104.17
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   dns proxy = no
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /home/tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

    When I just change the IP to original, it can work normally again. I'm puzzling more! Please help me, why I can't change my net card IP ?

Thanks.