Unable to connect to samba server using hostname

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Tue Nov 20 03:03:59 GMT 2001

Ok, then from a machine with Samba installed try:

  nmblookup -U <ipaddress of WINS> <servername>

and then from one of the errant windows clients do:

  nbtstat -A <ipaddress of Samba>

The first command will confirm that the Samba server has indeed successfully registered the server name with WINS. The list of names returned by the second command should contain the proper
servername.

Mike