NT and SMB client issues

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Aug 24 14:33:29 GMT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:

> 	I wasn't confused (I don't think :~). The question is, when he

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about myself ... :)

> mentions that he "can download but can't seem to write to the dirs",
> did he conclude this by trying to upload a file via ftp or
> by simply trying to write a file to the NT share as a normal user. I
> think uploading via ftp must be involved somehow, otherwise he
> wouldn't care about writing to these shares at all. If this is the
> case then both the ftpd config and mount options will need adjustment.

We are talking about this:

             +------- linux box -----+
ftp client ---> ftpd   <-->  smbfs  <------------> NT box
             +-----------------------+
(Yes! I get to practise my ascii art :)

He writes (if you read carefully) that he can:
 * download files from the ftp
 * create and delete as root on smbfs
 * that uploading through ftpd to smbfs fails

He does not say if uploading through ftp works if he puts the ftp area on
a local filesystem, like you suggested. That is of course a good thing to
test if the uploads still won't work.

Given the permissions listed, it is reasonable that uploads would fail.
Unless the ftpd creates all files as root ... (sounds like a dangerous
default setting).

/Urban