NT and SMB client issues

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Aug 23 22:04:53 GMT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Dave Lewis wrote:

> I have a bit of a problem.. and I think I know where it is.. but I donno
> how to fix it ?
>
> Here's the situation, I have a ftp server.. It's been on my NT server for
> years however I like the functionality of glftpd so I setup
> glftpd on my linux box (also my gateway) and decided to use smb and share
> the files to a dir on the linux server, because
> of the raid setup on my nt server I don't really want to have to move it..

You mean that you access a share on the NT server? (share the files to ...
hmm, ok, but I think you confused at least one reader :)

> I have glftpd up and I can download but I can't seem to write to the dirs
> and I believe it is becuase the dirs are mapped
> with permisions
>
> drwxrwxr-x root root
>
> and it's preventing me .. am I even close ???
>
> my mount command is in my rc.local file and looks like this
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=Linuxbox,password=xxxx //snafu-nt/ftpdir
> /home/ftp/ftpdir

The fmask and dmask options control the permissions on the files and dirs
on smbfs. So fmask=0777,dmask=0777 is one option.

You can also change user and group ownership with uid=someone and
gid=somegroup. That allows you to limit access to the some ftp user or
group.

One idea is to create a group of all users you want to be able to upload
files 'ftpusers' and then mount as

mount -t smbfs -o username=Linuxbox,gid=ftpusers,fmask=0775,dmask=0775 ...

That should give you:
drwxrwxr-x    root ftpusers

These options are described in the smbmount manpage.

/Urban