[Samba] move domain member server to new hardware

Luis Peromarta lperoma at icloud.com
Fri May 31 12:38:22 UTC 2024

I’d get the new server ready, sync all data including xattrs & ACLs with rsync -AXav

You probably use AD or RID. Just use the same idmapping on the new server. Probably just copy old smb.conf to new machine.

When all is rsynced just remove the old server from the AD, turn off, assign name and IP address to new server. Join domain. That should do.

If all goes very wrong you can just power on your old server , and rejoin. Things should be as before.

Regards.

LP