[Samba] Async Query Directory (for VFS)

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Tue May 28 08:35:21 UTC 2024

On 5/28/24 10:06 AM, Dan Greenfield via samba wrote:
> Hi, is there a branch, patch or other attempts I can look at for
> async processing of SMB2 QUERY_DIRECTORY? Looking online I see
> proposals from years ago for making everything async but I don't know
> what happened to it?

probably the same as to many other WIP branches: sitting there getting
dusty. :)

> In my use case, I don't care as much about impersonation and security
> as it's being used for client only loopback on Mac, process running
> as the logged in user. I have a custom VFS that accesses remote
> object storage but Spotlight (mds) on MacOS trawls recursively in
> background resulting in lots of slow directory queries which are
> being processed synchronously, despite handing preads and pwrites
> asynchronously. It makes for a not great user experience when the
> MacOS rainbow beachball shows up and otherwise smooth reads are
> interrupted.
>
> Any pointers appreciated to figure this out.

Async directory listing is certainly doable with a few weeks of work for
someone really familiar with Samba internals.

Another thing you could try would be enabling spotlight on the server
with the default noindex backend. Maybe the presence of *real* Spotlight
on the server is enough to keep the client from falling back to what is
likely the server-doesnt-support-spotlight mode.

Hth!
-slow

--
SerNet Samba Team Lead
Samba Support, Consulting and Development