[Samba] Security Implications of "ldap server require strong auth"?

Bestattungen Vitt - Thomas Reitelbach t.reitelbach at bestattungen-vitt.de
Mon May 27 13:57:52 UTC 2024

Hello Samba Team,

I hope someone with more expertise than me can englighten me to the
following "problem":

I'm on my way to implement Nextcloud LDAP Authentication against my
existing Samba Active Directory via the LDAP Auth Plugin in Nextcloud. I
have had trouble with the configuration of the Auth-Plugin in Nextcloud
because it could not bind to the ldap directory.
After some investigation I learned, that the nextcloud ldap auth plugin
does not support "strong authentication", which seems to be enforced by
samba by default.
Further investigation led me to the solution to use the [global] option
"ldap server require strong auth = no" in smb.conf. With this option
set, the ldap plugin is working and my Domain users can authenticate to
nextcloud with their Domain account.

But before I implement this in my production system I need to know the
security implications of this samba parameter. I must admit that I don't
really understand the risc for a real-life scenario. Also, I'm not very
experienced with ldap, so please, can you help me a bit?

Samba: 4.17.12-Debian (stock debian version)
Nextcloud Hub 8 (29.0.0.1)

Cheers
Thomas Reitelbach

--