[Samba] how do i modify AD user-attributes in batch-mode ?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 27 10:20:29 UTC 2024

On Mon, 27 May 2024 09:19:45 +0000 (UTC)
E Kogler via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I administer users at a school and accidently forgot to add the AD
> profile-path for 200+ users. How do i add it using samba-tool using a
> shell-script ?"samba-tool user edit XYZ" requests manual editing, and
> I want to avoid doing this. Edgar

Are we talking about adding the 'profilePath' attribute to your users ?
If so, then I don't think you can do this with samba-tool, but you
could script around ldbmodify and use an ldif, something like this:

echo "$DN
changetype: modify
add: profilePath
profilePath: $PROFILE_PATH
-" | ldbmodify -H ldap://dc1.samdom.example.com [ -U administrator --password=$PASSWORD ] [ --use-kerberos=required ]

Where:
'$DN' is the users full dn
'$PROFILE_PATH' is the required path to the profile
'dc1.samdom.example.com' is the FQDN of the DC to do the change on

You can either supply a user name & password to do the change or run
kinit before running the script and then use kerberos.

Rowland