[Samba] classifying samba componens and sorting into debian binary packages

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Sat May 25 15:00:35 UTC 2024

25.05.2024 17:39, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> ====================
>    samba-common-bin - common binaries in /usr/bin:
>        net
>        testparm - it probably should come together with smb.conf but ok
>        nmblookup - should it be part of smbclient? Probably irrelevant at this time.
>        samba-tool - is about AD, I plan to move it to samba-ad-client pkg.
>        samba-regedit - should it be part of the file server?
>        smbpasswd - should it be part of the file server? But I guess it can be
>            used to change password on another server too, so let it stay.
>            Or should it be part of smbclient?
>        dbwrap_tool - should it be part of ctdb?
>        samba-log-parser

There's also /usr/sbin/samba_kcc in there, - should go either to samba-ad-client
or samba-ad-dc, I can't understand which one.

>      also a few rpcd daemons used by samba and winbindd:
>        /usr/libexec/samba/rpcd_*.
>
>      samba-common-bin is not used by smbclient or libsmbclient (but samba-common is).
>
>      This package used to depend on python components (due to samba-tool), but
>      with it moved elsewhere, python is not longer needed.
>
>      Just with samba-common-bin and winbind it should be possible to join a
>      linux system to a domain (including AD, b/c `net ads join`) and do user
>      auth without using remote files, or maybe cifs-clients can be used for that too.
>
> ====================
>    smbclient - client for the file server:
>        smbclient, rpcclient, smbcacls, smbget, smbspool, smbtar, ...

Actually maybe whole samba-common-bin isn't really necessary,
and all remaining files can be moved to smbclient (with it being
required by the file server).  samba-common-bin is a badly named
package which has its own functionality which is partly related to
smbclient, and it also has unrelated-to-client files which are used
by server packages (samba and winbind).

> .....  On the other
> hand, there are a few commands (samba_downgrade_db, samba_upgradedns) which don't
> fit neither in samba (due to python deps and not being relevant to standalone
> server use case) nor in samba-ad-client package (due to being impractical without
> the file server component).
>
> I don't see how it can be split better.  Maybe an interesting way would be to
> move some files to samba-ad-dc and rename it to samba-ad, so that it can be used
> either as a domain controller or a member server.  In this case things like
> samba_downgrade_db will go there.  Or maybe just introduce samba-ad pkg which
> depends on samba and samba-ad-client, and includes python-based ad-specific
> file server components.
>
> BTW, do we really need samba_downgrade_db these days?  Changing format to the
> one used by samba 4.7, srsly?  I'd just remove this one :)

Both samba_downgrade_db (if this one is really needed still) and samba_upgradedns
(I found a reference to it in the wiki) can be part of samba-ad-dc package.
Maybe together with samba_kcc (if it is not going to samba-ad-client).

Thanks,

/mjt
--
GPG Key transition (from rsa2048 to rsa4096) since 2024-04-24.
New key: rsa4096/61AD3D98ECDF2C8E  9D8B E14E 3F2A 9DD7 9199  28F1 61AD 3D98 ECDF 2C8E