[Samba] How to set up a simple file server with full ACL support?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu May 23 04:05:56 UTC 2024

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 09:42:53AM +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
>After 23 years answering questions here, I figure it might be time for
>me to ask one.
>
>As mentioned here:
>https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2024-May/138969.html I
>am working with a client to improve a Go SMB client library.
>
>They want to manipulate ACLs on SMB, which is a very reasonable thing
>to want to do.
>
>What we had a lot of trouble with is simply setting Samba up as a
>standalone fileserver able to accept arbitrary NT ACL changes.
> ..
>However, despite connecting as root (within a docker container), we
>just get ACL errors that seem to be from Samba checking and failing
>against some existing (mapped) presumably ACL.
>
>I don't have the exact error strings to hand (was on the client's dev
>box) but I've been asked to provide a working set of steps to get
>arbitrary windows ACLs working on modern standalone Samba server.

My guess would be docker container issues.

Try setting up a bog-standard stand-alone fileserver (not on docker)
- no containerization, just using local users and NTLM auth.

Get ACL then set with smbcacls.

That should easily work, and the network trace should show
you what is being done.

If that fails, get a debug level 10 and start digging
for the returned error message.

This *should* be very simple. It works for me every day.