[Samba] Joining Linux Domain Member to Samba DC, issues

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Sun May 19 19:26:03 UTC 2024

I've successfully joined several Linux hosts as Domain Members thus far;
except for this one particular host that seems to fail in a different
way each time I try -- I've even scratch-installed this host from
installation DVD.

All the tests listed in
work. My latest attempt is as follows:

# net ads join -U administrator
Password for [HPRS\administrator]:
ldb: unable to dlopen /usr/lib64/ldb/local_password.so :
/usr/lib64/libsamdb-common-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.6.16' not found
(required by /usr/lib64/ldb/local_password.so)
ldb: unable to dlopen /usr/lib64/ldb/simple_dn.so :
/usr/lib64/libdsdb-module-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.6.16' not found
(required by /usr/lib64/ldb/simple_dn.so)
ldb: unable to dlopen /usr/lib64/ldb/simple_ldap_map.so :
/usr/lib64/libsamdb-common-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.6.16' not found
(required by /usr/lib64/ldb/simple_ldap_map.so)
Using short domain name -- HPRS
Joined 'WEBSERVER' to dns domain 'hprs.local'
DNS Update for webserver.hprs.local failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

# samba --version
Version 4.18.9

A couple of points of interest: neither the Domain Controller nor the
other Linux Domain Member on this LAN have the file
/usr/lib64/ldb/local_password.so. On this problem child, that file is
dated 11/28/2018. Two other files in that directory have the same date:
simple_dn.so and simple_ldap_map.so. All the rest of the files in that
directory have the same dates as the Domain Controller and the other
Domain Member, 11/30/2023.

My current Samba Version on all three of these computers is 4.18.9. The
old samba version before upgrading was 4.6.16 -- the very version listed
above as "SAMBA_4.16.16" not found.

Before I do something stupid, I was to bounce a thought off the
sambaList experts. I'm theorizing that the previous version of Samba
(4.6.16) was not completely removed and left some files (like
local_password.so) laying around.

My proposed solution is to completely uninstall Samba and any and all
vestiges thereof, and reinstall from scratch.

Does that sound reasonable, or could I just delete these 3 old files and
try again? Note that this host works fine doing samba shares.

Thanks --Mark