[Samba] Clarification on Samba AD functional levels

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 5 09:38:41 UTC 2024

On Fri, 2024-05-03 at 18:07 +0000, Darin via samba wrote:
> Hello all,
> Does Samba properly support 2012_R2 domains? If so, what is the
> earliest version of Samba AD that supports it? I see that the most
> recent versions support ad dc functional level = 2012_R2 in smb.conf
> but I am unsure if I can safely run 2012_R2 functional level on older
> versions of Samba.

Samba 4.20 is the first to do this with any seriousness.  The option
appeared in Samba 4.19 but much of the features that would imply only
arrived with 4.20.
> A little background:
> In my test environment I setup a Samba 4.20 AD Domain Controller with
> functional level 2012_R2. From there I joined a Windows Server 2022
> to the domain and I forced the activation of the time and sysvol with
> help from this guide:
> https://samba.tranquil.it/doc/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html
>
> As far as I can tell it is working correctly correctly. However, I am
> curious if I can get something similar to this working on something
> more stable than Fedora server.

You may need to find another source for your packages for a current
Samba 4.20 package stream if you want it on an 'enterprise' OS, as most
disable the Samba AD DC.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group