[Samba] sysvol issues

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 16:56:16 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 12:46 PM Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> So, from the sound of it, you have one DC in one domain that is giving
> no problems (apart from the Windows problem), but another DC in a
> different domain that prints the error message. So what is different ?
> There must be a difference, are they using the same OS and Samba
> version, are the conf files different ?

As to the standard (ignoring the idmap issue) sysvolcheck failures -
if I edit or create a GPO using RSAT from a Windows client, logged on
as a Domain Admin or the Domain Administrator, then sysvolcheck fails.
If I delete that GPO then sysvolcheck passes. Or I can leave the
edited or created GPO and run sysvolreset to fix the issue.

Is it normal that one needs to run sysvolreset after every GPO edit or
create? If not, how to fix?

The config files are virtually the same (posted earlier), outside of
address, domain name, etc.

They both have the GPO issue. Only one of them displays the continuous
"idmap range not specified for domain '*'" when attempting to run
sysvolreset while samba is active. That system has been upgraded from
4.19.6-Debian to 4.20.2-Debian-4.20.2+dfsg-2~bpo12+2 - the upgrade did
not solve the issue. I haven't had a time window to upgrade the other
system which is running 4.19.6-Debian.