[Samba] vfs_snapper

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Jun 21 07:29:27 UTC 2024

Am 20.06.24 um 17:51 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:

> So my alternative might be dropping snapper and do the btrfs-snapshots
> plus the rotation etc with self-written (=copied) scripts and timers.
>
> vfs_shadow_copy2 worked in my tests, I only switched to vfs_snapper
> because it looked promising to have all the rotation and cleanup of
> snapshots done by snapper (nicely configured in one place).
>
> Displaying the snapper-snapshots via vfs_shadow_copy2 doesn't work afai
> see: the naming doesn't match etc

Or we stay with snapper for doing snapshots ... and skip using
vfs-modules for that "previous versions" feature in Windows.

Sharing ".snapshots" as separate readonly samba-share for admins only
worked for years also (then based on rsnapshot).

Maybe vfs_snapper gets fixed some day, I can't tell how many work the
needed fixes are.