[Samba] use of ‘idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes’ in DCs

Olaf Frączyk olaf at navi.pl
Thu Jun 20 18:10:05 UTC 2024

On 2024-06-20 14:04, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2024 13:49:41 +0200
> Olaf Frączyk via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> This samba uidNumbers are from times, when local linux users started
>> from 500 and I assumed that starting 1000 for samba will be enough,
>> this was 20 years ago or more.
> Yes, some distros did start IDs from 500, but that was later changed to
> 1000. Times change, but it looks like you haven't.

If I started new system today, I would do it.

But having servers with tens of millions of files, and each file has
ACLs with numerical uids and guids - the risk of changing it is simply
too big, and I see no real benefit. And even if I did the task to change
the uids and guids to the higher range, there are still backups. And it
would mean that restoring backups also involves changing uids and guids.

So if it all works today without problems - I prefer to be a dinosaur ;)
(and please don't respond that the dinosaurs are not here anymore ;);)

Cheers

Olaf