[Samba] VFS module - symlinks on MacOS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 18 16:12:30 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 11:25:12AM +0100, Dan Greenfield via samba wrote:
>Hi, having written a VFS module, I’d like to have a MacOS client read symlinks that were created on the Linux backend.
>
>I do not want to be storing Minshall+French symlinks. I want real symlinks on the backend filesystem, and for the MacOS client to be creating real symlinks.
>https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/UNIX_Extensions#Minshall.2BFrench_symlinks
>
>Is there any support for this, or will I need to write something that automatically translates Minshall+French style into real symlinks?

Can we see the code first ? Creating server-side symlinks
is a *VERY* dangerous thing to be doing, and we're moving
away from this.

The current plan is to represent "real" symlinks on the
server filesystem as reparse points, and for clients to
create reparse points the "correct" SMB way in order
to be represented as symlinks to a client.

We really would prefer not to allow any "real" server-side
symlinks to be created by clients, as these are ideal for
creating race-condition security holes.