[Samba] NTLM in Windows

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 18 06:32:56 UTC 2024

On Mon, 17 Jun 2024 15:31:02 +0200
Christian Naumer via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just read that Windows is slowly fading out NTLM
> (https://www.heise.de/en/news/Now-safe-Microsoft-finally-kicks-NTLM-out-of-Windows-9749970.html).

I wouldn't worry too much, yes Samba will have to adapt, but how
quickly ? Remember that Microsoft Made NT4 domains EOL over 20 years
ago and you can still set one up on Samba.

> With this in mind I have a view questions.
>
> 1) How does this impact Samba when used in combination with a Radius
> server for MS-CHAP? So for people using "ntlm auth =
> mschapv2-and-ntlmv2-only".

This will probably require kerberos instead.

> 2) If NTLM does not work any more what is used on a "Standalone"
> server? So when there is no AD. Like using a home NAS.

Now that is a good question, are Microsoft going to stop selling the
'Home' editions of Windows ? Somehow I do not think so, so will NTLM
continue on those, or will some version of IAKerb be used ?

Rowland