[Samba] Group Policy alternative (Looking for feedback on a project)

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:34:56 UTC 2024

On 11-06-2024 23:00, Darin via samba wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> So I am working on a group policy-like system based around Ansible.
> Essentially, I am going to use Ansible playbooks as a cross-platform
> alternative to the Windows registry and Group Policy Objects (GPOs).
> In Samba, the way the group policy is applied is that it reads the set
> registry values and then tries to translate that into Linux language.
> This is inefficient and limiting as from my understanding it
> effectively requires a hand-built translator.

David Mulder is doing a lot of work in this direction, you could consult
and/or him to improve GPO support on Linux instead of starting a new
MS-AD incompatible piece of work (which will also require a lot of work).

It is already possible in Samba to generate GPOs from a json file
containing the registry settings, if it were for Windows. With that you
do not need any GUI to create GPOs. Another advantage is that you have
them as source code instead of some binary regpol file, so you can
version it for example in git.

- Kees.