[Samba] Async Query Directory (for VFS)

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Mon Jun 10 13:17:12 UTC 2024

On 5/28/24 11:03 PM, Dan Greenfield wrote:
> Thanks Ralph. Unfortunately that option doesn’t quite solve it.
>
> However even if it did, it’d still be good to add Async support for such
> queries. If there is WIP then I can look into finishing off the code
> myself. Can you point me to any branch that has this WIP?

I'm not sure anyone has yet started working on this feature, so there
might not be a WIP branch as a starting point.

> Looking
> through Samba source3 internals, it looks somewhat straightforward to
> add primitive support along the lines of Async pread, but given it
> hasn’t been done I assume it may not be that simple - if so what are the
> caveats?

yeah, I guess it would take a seasoned Samba veteran who knows the
fileserver and our async primitives just a few weeks of work to flesh
out and discuss a desgin and then implement it. But for an external
contributor this is defenitely very challenging and will require a great
deal of time, care and persistance.

-slow

--
SerNet Samba Team Lead
Samba Support, Consulting and Development