[Samba] Usrname map and Windows ACLs question

Luis Peromarta lperoma at icloud.com
Sat Jun 8 16:58:48 UTC 2024

Guys,

I have been playing around with this with the ad idmap. These are may findings:

smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        security = ADS
        workgroup = MAD
        realm = MAD.CAPONATO.ES
        netbios name = MEMBER
        server role = member server
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Disable Netbios
        disable netbios = yes

# Enforce minimum protolo SMB3
#       server min protocol = SMB3

# To enable Group Policy application in winbind,
        apply group policies = yes

# Default ID mapping configuration for local BUILTIN accounts
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

# idmap config for the MAD domain
        idmap config MAD : backend = ad
        idmap config MAD : schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config MAD : range = 10000-999999
        idmap config MAD : unix_nss_info = yes

# winbind config:
        winbind use default domain = yes

# renew the kerberos ticket
        winbind refresh tickets = yes
        kerberos method = secrets and keytab

# Map Administrator to root
#       username map = /etc/samba/user.map
#       min domain uid = 0

# To configure shares using extended access control lists (ACL)
        vfs objects = acl_xattr
        map acl inherit = yes
#       acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes

[test]
        hide unreadable = Yes
        path = /test
        read only = No

Prerequisites:

Domain Adminst has no gidNumber
Administrator has no uidNumber
No root mapping in smb.conf
"Unix admins" has a gidNumber and is a member of Domain Admins (MAD\luis)

Steps:
Join domain using a user who is member of Unix Admins ->OK
Create share folder and chown root:”unix admins” and chmod 0700
Restart smbd. Or just reboot.
I have *not* granted any privileges on the member server.
Used Windows to set permissions on new share. No issues.

Does this make sense ? No mapping and no permissions granted ?

LP