[Samba] Member server: Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for

Luis Peromarta lperoma at icloud.com
Sat Jun 8 16:41:57 UTC 2024

All,

Doing some testing with 4.20.1 on a member server. I have no explanation for this.

“Member” member is just a test machine, I joined to domain *with* net ads join, no issues. A few minutes later ...

root at member:/etc/samba# net ads leave domain -U luis
Password for [MAD\luis]:
Deleted account for 'MEMBER' in realm 'MAD.MATER.INT'

root at member:/etc/samba# net ads join domain -U luis
Password for [MAD\luis]:
Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain domain - A domain controller for this domain was not found.

root at member:/etc/samba# samba-tool domain join mad.mater.int -U luis
WARNING: Using passwords on command line is insecure. Installing the setproctitle python module will hide these from shortly after program start.
Password for [MAD\luis]:
Joined domain mad.mater.int (S-1-5-21-2152908145-95474353-1514027631)

net ads join fail while samba-tool domain join works. ¿?

The usual suspects have been checked, I have not changed anything in the config. Not that this is a very big issue, just out of curiosity.

LP