[Samba] move domain member server to new hardware

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Jun 7 14:56:35 UTC 2024

>> Could I join the domain with another name and IP now ... to be able
>> to test things (introducing btrfs snaphots this time) with all
>> AD-features, but on a "test name"? And then leave the domain, change
>> FQDN/IP and rejoin?
>
> I would create a 'test' machine and join that, once you are sure that
> everything is working correctly (and you have documented the
> procedure), just create a new machine with the correct FQDN/IP and join
> that.
> On a Unix domain member, all you need to backup is the smb.conf and the
> directories you have shared. If you put the shares in /srv , then all
> you need to backup is /srv and the smb.conf

ok ...

that new server would be my test machine ;-)

-

Let me show you the smb.conf

It has grown over years and was topic in quite a few threads in here.
I am sure it still needs improvement ;-)

That "ARBEITSGRUPPE" (german for workgroup) comes from the NT4-domain
that was in place earlier (!)

# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
         security = ADS
         workgroup = ARBEITSGRUPPE
         realm = arbeitsgruppe.sometld.at
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         log level = 2

         #log level = 5 auth:5 winbind:8

# template
winbind nss info = template
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /mnt/samba/Daten/%U

         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 2000-3999

         idmap config ARBEITSGRUPPE:backend = rid
         idmap config ARBEITSGRUPPE:range = 10000-99999

         username map = /etc/samba/user.map

         kerberos method = secrets and keytab

         winbind use default domain = Yes
         winbind refresh tickets = Yes

         vfs objects = acl_xattr
         map acl inherit = yes
         store dos attributes = yes

         #interfaces = bond0

         #hosts allow = 10.0.0.22,10.0.0.50

         printing = CUPS

At "vfs objects": some shares will also have "shadow_copy2" to use btrfs
snapshots. I assume (will check in docs...) I have to add "acl_xattr"
also then (to not toggle off the global setting, right?)

This smb.comf comes from the productive server and works fine, as far as
we know.

greetings, thanks, Stefan