[Samba] How to give AD users group permissions on a Samba share

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Fri Jun 7 03:58:18 UTC 2024

On Thu Jun  6 14:28:46 2024 Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote;

> On Thu, 06 Jun 2024 13:37:34 -0400
> Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > [snip]
>
> Basically, the old NT4-style domains relied on setting permissions in
> the share part of the smb.conf file, but, by using vfs_acl_xattr, you
> can set finer control from Windows and these acls are stored Extended
> Attributes (EAs).
>

> > So. I've followed the procedures in your referenced link. and am at
> > the section titled: "Setting Share Permissions and ACLs". I am
> > setting this up on a test system. Before proceeding further I have
> > some questions that don't seem immediately addressed in the wiki.
> >
> > This section in the wiki is giving an example for setting the share to
> > 'Everyone', 'Full Control' and 'Domain Users'.
> >
> > As I've described, all files in this folder are currently set to Unix
> > group "ohprs'.
>
> That is one of the old-overs you don't need, if set up correctly, Samba
> can make the domain group 'ohprs' into the Unix group group 'ohprs'.
>
> I created a group called 'ohprs' in my AD and:
>
> rowland at devstation:~$ getent group ohprs
> ohprs:x:13603:
>
> So it appears to the local system as a Unix group, but if I look in
> /etc/group it isn't there:
>
> rowland at devstation:~$ grep 'ohprs' /etc/group
> rowland at devstation:~$

Questions here ... Do I first have to remove that group from /etc/group before
creating it in AD?

Should I create it with 'samba-tool group create' or use ADUC, or does it
matter?

I assume I'll have to use ADUC to make users as 'Member of' this group, yes?

Do I have to change the current group (chgrp) for these files/directories to the
AD 'ohprs' group, or will that be "automatic" once I create the ohprs AD group
and make users members therof?

Current Unix permissions are rwxrws---. I know how to set Windows permissions
from experience and from the "Setting Share Permissions and ACLs" section of the
wiki, but there are non-AD users accounts on this host that need to access these
files/folders for running cron jobs to transmit enrollment files, etc. No
problem with Unix groups as I just did the 'usermod -a -G' to give these users
group priv. Is something like that possible with this scheme for non-AD user
access?

> > I want a like restriction with this vfs_acl_xattr.
> > I supposed I can use group 'Domain Users' since all domain users will
> > be able to access this, and I don't have to create a new group.  So
> > question #1: should I change all files/directories in this share to
> > group 'Domain Users' before proceeding further?
>
> You do not need to use 'Domain Users', use the Domain group 'ohprs'.

Probably creating a new domain group is a good idea, but technically, I wouldn't
have to, right? I could just make this share's group 'Domain Users'?

> > mini question(s) -- can I still use the following for this share in
> > smb.conf:
> >
> > store dos attributes = no   # this one might be an issue, but I can
> > explain
>
> Why do you have that line, the default for that parameter is 'yes' and
> you shouldn't need to change it.

OK, I'll try to keep this short. Windows users have an app for scanning documents,
Foxit PDF Editor. If they scan a new document to this share, no problem. If they
scan/append to an existing document the file is left with the DOS hidden attribute
on and the document essentially disappears from the user's share view. It took a
while to figure this out, but setting 'store dos attributes = no' was the only
solution I came up with. Possibly, this isn't a problem with the vfs_acl_xattr
mechanism? Maybe some expermentation is needed on this.

Note that this phenomenon just started happening when I upgraded from Samba
4.8.2 to Samba 4.18.9. It wasn't a problem on the old Samba. No version change
on Foxit.

> > hide dot files = yes
>
> Yes, you can set that.
>

> > BTW, for the wiki command:
> >
> > # chown root:"Domain Admins" /srv/samba/Demo/
> >
> > I could not make that work unless I added the domain:
> >
> > # chown root:"hprs\Domain Admins" /srv/samba/Demo/
>
> Ah, if you add 'winbind use default domain = yes' to global, you will
> not have to add 'hprs\' (the NetBIOS domain name, aka workgroup).
>
> Rowland

Did that! Thanks. Perhaps that tip might be worth a mention in
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member in the
"Setting up a Basic smb.conf File" section.

Thanks --Mark