[Samba] client-only build? all internal libs statically build?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Jul 25 10:03:27 UTC 2024

Hi!

In order to test something, I tried to build smbclient and libsmbclient
with all dependencies built in.  My goal is to have just libsmbclient.so.0
library and smbclient executable linked with libsmbclient.so.

It looks like there's no way to limit build to client only, - the build
system always tries to build smbd/nmbd/etc.  At the very least one can
use --targets=smbclient to limit things.

For static link, there's --builtin-libraries=ALL.  But with this one,
build immediately fails:

  ERROR: Target 'samba_python.cpython-311-x86_64-linux-gnu_empty_c'
     in directory /build/samba/python re-defined as GENERATOR - was GENERATOR

I tried to find where this is defined, but as usual, wafsamba is
nearly impossible to follow.

Is there a way to link libsmbclient statically, without all the libsamba-private
stuff?

Thanks,

/mjt