[Samba] Samba and NFSv4 ACLs

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sat Jul 13 07:39:36 UTC 2024

On 7/12/24 23:01, miguel medalha via samba wrote:
> Hello

Hello.

> With the introduction of NFS4 (and later on NFSv4.1) a new ACL system
> was introduced and standardized

Unfortunately "standardized" doesn't mean "accepted and implemented by all".
Linux didn't.

> I thought that it would be a good
> opportunity to switch from "acl_xattr" to "nfs4acl_xattr" in order to "
> manage the ACLs on the OS of the Samba host directly"

Notice you don't necessarily need nfs4acl_xattr in order for OS ACLs to
apply.

> This would greatly improve server management, mainly because it would be
> much easier to create or modify ACLs through Bash scripting.
>
> - Does anyone here have experience in such a scenario?

Yes and no.
I'm using OS ACLs on a QNAP NAS: it doesn't use any specific VFS module.
And I manage them through Salt (so it will work with bash scripting also).

> - What would the drawbacks, if any, be?

I don't think it maps 100% to Windows ACL.
Make sure users are not able to change their permissions through Windows
folder properties.

> - Does anyone here have some experience with the use of NFSv4 on ZFS
> filesystems?

Yes, but on FreeBSD, which, in contrast to Linux, implements NFSv4 ACLs.

  bye
	av.