[Samba] samba-ad-dc from debian backports fails to start with /usr/sbin/samba missing

Dale Schroeder samba at txschroeder.family
Sat Jul 6 01:54:34 UTC 2024

Michael,

Maybe I can answer why so few are seeing the NEWS entries you created.
I checked all my Debian systems, and only one has apt-listchanges
installed.  The systems were all done via a netinstall .iso.  I don't
recall installing apt-listchanges on the one system, but I must have
somewhere in time.  So, for any other individuals who installed the OS
as I did, there is no NEWS mechanism by default.

Fortunately, I had read your changelog explanation on the list and
installed the samba-ad-dc package after running the upgrade.  The one
surprise that I got was that I had to reboot the upgraded DC before its
processes would start.  Member servers and standalones successfully
upgraded without a reboot.

Dale